Hi, my name is Emma. I am a qualified and experienced yoga teacher and a busy working mum to two school-aged children (my daughter who is 16 and my son who is 12).
Yoga has been part of my life for almost 30 years now, having tentatively starting practising as a teenager at the end of the 1980s. While my main practice and teaching is that of Hatha Yoga, my initial teacher training was also in Vinyasa Flow. In addition to Hatha and Vinyasa flow yoga I have tried many other styles including Kundalini, Ashtanga, Yin Yoga, Restorative, Jivamukti, Iyengar yoga, Sivananda, Power Yoga and even Face Yoga!
My journey towards teaching began in 2012 after attending a yoga and kirtan retreat led by Katy Appleton and Nikki Slade. This time away from my (then) young family made me realise that I had been so busy raising my children and working that I hadn’t stopped to focus on my own well-being. This retreat showed me that yoga was a way to find peace inside even though the world outside might be hectic. When I returned home I completed a one year 60 hour British Wheel of Yoga Foundation Course which introduced me to the origins and philosophy of yoga and ways of living a more “yogic” life. After this I undertook a 200-hour Yoga Alliance Hatha and Vinyasa Yoga teacher training which gave me the opportunity to deepen my own personal practice, to delve into the anatomy and physiology behind the postures, to learn how to teach safely and effectively and ultimately pass on my love of yoga to others. Since obtaining my initial teaching qualification I have continued to obtain qualifications in Teaching Yoga to Children, Pregnancy and Postnatal Yoga, Parent and Baby Yoga, Yin Yoga and also have completed a Meditation and Mindfulness Teacher Qualification. Full details of my qualifications are listed below.
My study of yoga has helped me on so many levels, I feel physically stronger and my relationship with my body has improved considerably. It has also changed the way I approach life and its many challenges, helping me to face these in a more positive and constructive way.
Having always had shelves filled with self-help and self-improvement type books, I have found a deep connection with the ancient yoga texts including The Bhagavad Gita and The Yoga Sutras in particular which are essentially guidebooks on how to lead a better life. I found their messages so inspiring and comforting that I deepened my studies of Yoga Philosophy with the Oxford Centre of Hindu Studies.
Over the years I have trained with and attended workshops led by many leading yoga, pranayama and sound teachers including Sally Parkes, Katy Appleton, Simon Low, Gill Lloyd, Nikki Slade, Andrea Kwiatkowski, Philip Xerri, Mark Swan, Otto Haddad, Sarah Gregg and Bob Insley.
I also had the incredible privilege of staying at a Sivananda Ashram in Kerala, South India a couple of years ago where every day was devoted to meditation, chanting, yoga practice and study and which was truly a life-changing experience and the highlight of my yoga journey thus far.
In addition to teaching yoga I have also been fortunate enough to explore many different energy healing modalities. As such I am a qualified Usui Reiki Master-Teacher and I have also completed training in Angelic Reiki, Reiki Drumming and Emotional Freedom Technique. I have also explored the power of sound as a mechanism for healing and deep relaxation and I have trained as a Gong Practitioner, undertaken training in Reiki Drum Technique and an exploration of singing bowls.
My training and exploration of energy healing combined with my yoga studies have also deepened my interest in and attraction to spirituality on a deeper level and I am also deepening my exploration of the psychic sciences in order to assist my own spiritual development. I know this is not something that everyone is open to but when you start working more intensively with healing and with the upper spiritual chakras I do believe that this is something that emerges to those who are open.
On a personal level I am very much into environmental issues, living a greener life and as a committed vegan I also try to spread gentle awareness of veganism and a compassionate lifestyle. Being vegan I have a great love and compassion for animals and I have been working with Animal Reiki and have attended workshops on Animal Communication.
If you are local and considering coming to one of my yoga classes (I teach in Dartford and Crayford in Kent) I hope you are reassured of both my experience of and dedication to yoga. Yoga for me is not just a physical practice, nor is it just a job, it is truly a way of life and encompasses my entire being and I am really enjoying sharing it with others…
Thanks for reading!
[Updated July 2020]
I have obtained my Chartered Level 1 membership with Yoga Alliance Professionals which certifies that I have been teaching for over 4 years (almost 6 in fact!) and with over 2,000 hours proven teaching experience and CPD.
YOGA QUALIFICATIONS & ACCREDITATIONS
- 200 hour Hatha & Vinyasa Yoga Teacher Training Diploma (accredited by Yoga Alliance UK – an accreditation which demonstrates excellent standards).
- Children’s Yoga Teacher Diploma (completed with a Yoga Alliance UK registered school and accredited by the CMA (Complementary Medical Association))
- Pregnancy and Post-Natal Yoga Teacher Diploma (completed with a Yoga Alliance UK registered school and accredited by the CMA)
- Parent and Baby Yoga Teacher Diploma (completed with a Yoga Alliance UK registered school and accredited by the CMA)
- Meditation and Mindfulness Teacher Training Diploma – Children and Adults (completed with a Yoga Alliance UK registered school and accredited by the CMA)
- One-year Foundation Course in Pranayama (40 hours)
- British Wheel of Yoga Foundation Course in Yoga (60 hours)
- Philosophy of Yoga Course (obtaining a first-class grading) with the Oxford Centre of Hindu Studies (a centre of the University of Oxford)
CPD Courses and further training:
- Yin Yoga & Restorative Yoga training immersion (20 hours) incorporating Pranayama, Vedic Chanting and Meditation.
- 50 hour Yin Yoga Teacher training (Yoga Alliance)
- Exploration of the two main Buddhist meditation practices (Anapanasati and Metta Bhavana) on a Buddhist retreat
- Learn to Lead Kirtan workshop with Nikki Slade where we explored chanting with the use of the Harmonium
In addition to being registered and insured with Yoga Alliance UK I am also:
- A registered yoga teacher with the Independent Yoga Network
- A Level 3 member of the Register of Exercise Professionals (REPS) – which is an independent public Register which recognises the qualifications and expertise of health-enhancing exercise instructors in the UK.
- A member of the British Wheel of Yoga
HEALING QUALIFICATIONS & ACCREDITATIONS
- Reiki Master-Teacher having completed studies over a two-year period (2014-2016) in Reiki Levels I, II and IIIA&B (in the Usui system of Natural Healing)
- Member of The Reiki Association
- Angelic Reiki Levels 1 & 2 certification
- Gong Practitioner Level 1 and 2 certification (Gong Playing and Sound Healing)
- Reiki Drum (Drum Journeying) Practitioner
- Foundation course in Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT)
OTHER RELEVANT QUALIFICATIONS
- Certificate in Fitness Instructing (Premier Training International)
- Certificate in Nutritional Advice for Physical Activity (Premier Training International)
- QA Level 2 Award in Emergency First Aid at Work
I have been working freelance as a translator for over 20 years after graduating with a BA Honours Degree in English Literature, French and Italian at University then going on to study a Master’s Degree specialising in Translation. I lived in both Italy and France for a time in my twenties and also trained to teach English as a foreign language. As my other half is German I also speak a little German too. I guess my love of languages is why I love to incorporate the use of Sanskrit in my classes.
Aside from my yoga practice I love keeping fit and healthy in general, which is why I completed my Certificate in Fitness Instructing, and I also love to run whenever I get a chance. To date I have taken part in a couple of 10k trail runs but am (slowly) working towards my next goal of a half-marathon.