Hi, my name is Emma. I am a qualified and experienced yoga teacher and a busy working mum to two school-aged children (my daughter who is 14 and my son who is 10). I originally trained as a translator back in 1998 (see “other stuff” below) and currently juggle these two roles although my yoga and healing work definitely has the upper hand these days!
Yoga has been part of my life for well over 25 years now, having initially been drawn to it as a teenager (towards the end of the 1980s!!). While my main practice and teaching is that of Hatha Yoga, my initial teacher training was also in Vinyasa Flow. In addition to Hatha and Vinyasa flow yoga I have tried many other styles including Kundalini, Ashtanga, Yin Yoga, Restorative, Jivamukti, Iyengar yoga, Sivananda, Power Yoga and even Face Yoga!
My journey towards teaching began after attending a yoga and kirtan (chanting) retreat in 2012 led by Katy Appleton and Nikki Slade. This time away from my family which was spent focusing on “me” made me realise that I had been so busy raising my children and working as much as possible that I hadn’t stopped to focus on my own well-being. This retreat showed me that yoga was a way to find peace inside even though the world outside might be hectic. When I returned home I completed the one year British Wheel of Yoga Foundation Course which introduced me to the origins and philosophy of yoga and ways of living a more “yogic” life. After this I undertook a 200-hour Yoga Alliance Hatha and Vinyasa Yoga teacher training which gave me the opportunity to deepen my own personal practice, to delve into the anatomy and physiology behind the postures, to learn how to teach safely and effectively and ultimately pass on my love of yoga to others. Since obtaining my initial teaching qualification I have proceeded to obtain qualifications in Teaching Yoga to Children, Pregnancy and Postnatal Yoga, Parent and Baby Yoga and also have completed a Meditation and Mindfulness Teacher Qualification. Full details of my qualifications are listed below.
My study of yoga has helped me on so many levels, I feel physically stronger and my relationship with my body has improved considerably. It has also changed the way I approach life and its many challenges, helping me to face these in a more positive and constructive way.
Having always had shelves filled with “self-help” and “self-improvement” type books, I have found a deep connection with the ancient yoga texts including The Bhagavad Gita and The Yoga Sutras in particular which are essentially guidebooks on how to lead a better life. I found their messages so inspiring and comforting that I deepened my studies of Yoga Philosophy with the Oxford Centre of Hindu Studies.
I am committed to continuing my development both personally and professionally and as such I regularly attend CPD (continuing professional development) workshops/courses (as I have detailed below). I also had the incredible privilege of staying at a Sivananda Ashram in Kerala, South India last year where every day was devoted to meditation, chanting, yoga practice and study and which was truly a life-changing experience and the highlight of my yoga journey thus far.
On a personal level I am very much into environmental issues, living a greener life and as a committed vegan I also try to gently spread awareness of vegetarianism and veganism and a compassionate lifestyle.
In addition to teaching yoga I work with various types of energy healing modalities and as such I am an Usui Reiki Master-Teacher and I have also completed training in Angelic Reiki and Emotional Freedom Technique. My current interest is gravitating towards the power of sound as a mechanism for healing and deep relaxation and I have recently undertaken Gong Practitioner training and an exploration of singing bowls.
If you are local and considering coming to one of my yoga classes (I teach in Dartford and Crayford in Kent) I hope you are reassured of both my experience of and dedication to yoga. Yoga for me is not just a physical practice, nor is it just a job, it is truly a way of life and encompasses my entire being and I am really enjoying sharing it with others…
Thanks for reading!
[Updated December 2017]
YOGA QUALIFICATIONS & ACCREDITATIONS
- 200 hour Hatha & Vinyasa Yoga Teacher Training Diploma (accredited by Yoga Alliance UK – an accreditation which demonstrates excellent standards).
- Children’s Yoga Teacher Diploma (completed with a Yoga Alliance UK registered school)
- Pregnancy and Post-Natal Yoga Teacher Diploma (completed with a Yoga Alliance UK registered school)
- Parent and Baby Yoga Teacher Diploma (completed with a Yoga Alliance UK registered school)
- Meditation and Mindfulness Teacher Training Diploma – Children and Adults (completed with a Yoga Alliance UK registered school)
I have also successfully completed:
- One-year Foundation Course in Pranayama
- British Wheel of Yoga Foundation Course in Yoga
- Philosophy of Yoga Course (obtaining a first-class grading) with the Oxford Centre of Hindu Studies (a centre of the University of Oxford)
- Yin Yoga & Restorative Yoga training immersion (20 hours) incorporating Pranayama, Vedic Chanting and Meditation.
In addition to being registered and insured with Yoga Alliance UK I am also:
- A registered yoga teacher with the Independent Yoga Network
- A Level 3 member of the Register of Exercise Professionals (REPS) – which is an independent public Register which recognises the qualifications and expertise of health-enhancing exercise instructors in the UK.
- A member of the British Wheel of Yoga
HEALING QUALIFICATIONS & ACCREDITATIONS
- Reiki Master-Teacher (certified and fully insured) having completed studies over a two-year period (2014-2016) in Reiki Levels I, II and IIIA&B (in the Usui system of Natural Healing)
- Member of The Reiki Association
- Angelic Reiki Levels 1 & 2 certification
- Gong Practitioner Level 1 and 2 certification (Gong Playing and Sound Healing)
- Foundation course in Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT)
- I am continuing to explore the harmonium further to the experience of having led a group chant at a Kirtan workshop with Nikki Slade.
- I am deepening my understanding and experience of the role sound plays in healing and as such recently attended a workshop on Singing Bowls where we explored their use within the context of sound healing and have also recently undertaken and completed my Gong practitioner training (as detailed above).
- I have just attended (September 2017) a Buddhist meditation retreat where we focused on developing two of the main practices of Anapanasati and Metta Bhavana.
- I will be attending a course in Reiki Drumming/Drum Journeying booked for 2018 which will enhance both my sound healing exploration and add to my current Reiki offering.
OTHER RELEVANT QUALIFICATIONS
- Certificate in Fitness Instructing (Premier Training International – 2015)
- Certificate in Nutritional Advice for Physical Activity (Premier Training International – 2015)
- QA Level 2 Award in Emergency First Aid at Work (valid until May 2018)
I have been working freelance as a translator for over 18 years after graduating with a BA Honours Degree in English Literature, French and Italian at University then going on to study a Master’s Degree specialising in translation. I lived in both Italy and France for a period of time in my twenties and also trained to teach English as a foreign language and as a result spent time teaching English in Turkey and to Italian children in the UK. As my other half is German I also speak a little German too. I guess my love of languages is why I love to incorporate the use of Sanskrit in my classes.
Aside from my yoga practice I love keeping fit and healthy in general, which is why I completed my Certificate in Fitness Instructing, and I also love to run whenever I get a chance (although not often enough at the moment!). To date I have taken part in a couple of 10k trail runs but am (slowly) working towards my next goal of a half-marathon.